Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Traditions


"These children are the seeds my days plant, the blooms of the next generations."
~ Ann Voskamp ~
"Holy Experience"

We have many traditions in our home. One tradition began when my oldest children were potty-training. My beloved and I took turns sitting with them, trying to keep them on the potty seat occupied with puzzles, books, and conversation until they relaxed enough to let nature take its course. Once that happened, the parent on duty took the “big boy” or “big girl” to the other parent to brag about what they did on the potty. When my beloved brought our child to me, I jumped up and down and clapped, which eventually provided another incentive for using the potty. “As soon as you use the potty, we’ll go tell Mommy and she will jump up and down and clap!” Oddly enough, this worked.

As the years rolled on, Mommy was expected to jump up and down and clap for every bit of good news: finished the puzzle, let’s show Mom. Took a nap, won’t Mommy be proud. Shot the basketball through the goal, let’s go tell Mom. Made an A on the report card, take it home to Mom. It seems I jumped up and down and clapped through each milestone of their lives.

As one by one my children left for college, I wanted there to be no doubt in their minds how happy I was whenever they came home. Sweet Pea attended Pepperdine University in Malibu, California, so her visits home involved airfare and were planned way ahead of time. Each time she came through the revolving door to baggage claim where we waited, her eyes scanned the area, looking for a familiar middle-age woman trying to discretely jump up and down and clap. A year and a half ago, Sweet Pea and her husband announced that they were having a baby. Once again, she looked at me expectantly. Obediently, and with much exuberance, I jumped up and down and clapped, and subsequently pulled a muscle in my back. That was difficult to explain at work. “So, how did you hurt your back?” “Um, well, I kind of jumped up and down and clapped……with gusto. Long story.....kind of a family tradition sort of thing. That’s really all I can say about it.”

Kindred Spirit attended Harding University, which is six hours away. She drove home more than she flew. Not entirely comfortable with this, my beloved and I took turns calling her every hour, checking on her progress. As the time drew near for her arrival, we stood by the curb. As soon as we saw her car turn onto our street, my excitement took over and, bless her heart, she drove up with a big grin on her face as she saw her mom standing by the curb, jumping up and down and clapping.

My Buddy chose Oklahoma Christian University, which is three and a half hours away. He liked to surprise us by pretending that he left later than he did, or was caught in traffic, so he could see the surprised looks on our faces when he appeared at the door hours earlier than we expected. At least that’s what he told us. In reality, as much as he seems to enjoy his old mom still jumping up and down and clapping at his arrival, I think he prefers it at the door to our home rather than by the curb.

Lovey also chose Oklahoma Christian University. She and Buddy just came home for the first time since school started this year, along with her new boyfriend, and her new college best friend. I had to work the gate (take money for admission) at our home football game, so I was not home when they arrived a little earlier than expected. Toward the end of my shift, though, I looked up to see all of them pile out of the car with big grins on their faces. I do hope they warned their friends about their odd mom, because I jumped up and down and clapped as I ran around the car hugging and greeting each one.

The father of the prodigal son had a similar strategy.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.”

Luke 15:20

Won’t it be great when God greets us the same way as we enter heaven?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story! I can just imagine you doing that. :0) I bet when we get home to Our Heavenly Father it will be a welcome we've never had before!!!

Anonymous said...

You are such a blessing! How wonderful for them to have someone cheering for them on the sidelines. :)

I like that the clapping is cheaper than stickers, candy, and--further down the road--the expected wedding gift.

Becky said...

Sharon,
With music. I imagine beautiful music! Thanks for writing!

Becky said...

Darlene,
Not only cheaper, but, in many ways, make longer lasting memories. Thanks for writing!

Ame said...

ohhh ... i love to jump up and down and clap, too! it's so fun being a mom!!! this is a great post!

Kelly said...

What a wonderful post! Mine are only 10 and 12 right now and still appreciate my unique brand of mommy enthusiasm. How wonderful to hear that they may still enjoy it when they are young adults.

In addition to clapping and cheering for one another in our house, we often give God a "clap" offering when we see a particularly beautiful tree in the fall or that first tiny blossom in the spring. Yahoo!! GO God!

Thanks for your post...my first visit here, but I will be back.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becky said...

Seekinghim,
What a cute idea! Yea, God! Thanks for visiting.
Becky

Becky said...

Ame,
They never get too old for it. Even when they roll their eyes and act embarrassed, inwardly they love it! Thanks for stopping by!