Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Learning To Be Grateful


"Like the proud mother who is thrilled to receive a wilted bouquet of dandelions from her child, so God celebrates our feeble expressions of gratitude."
~ Richard Foster~

From the time they were old enough to talk, I wanted my children to learn the art of saying “thank you” upon receiving a gift.

In anticipation of the event, such as a birthday or Christmas, we would talk about gifts, the thought behind the gift, the money spent on the gift, the importance of gratitude and sensitivity to the feelings of the giver.

I can still remember when Sweet Pea was two years old. We were having Christmas with the extended family: grandma, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I sat with her as she opened each gift, shared her excitement, then watched with pride as she set the gift down, scanned the room for the giver, made her way to her chair, wrapped her chubby little arms around her neck, and said, “Thank you so much Grandma!”, before going back to her spot to open the next gift. Needless to say she was always the last one to finish opening all of her gifts. As the years wore on, it became comical to watch as each of my four children opened a gift with glee, set it down, scanned the room then trampled over mounds of strewn boxes and wrapping paper until they found the giver to give that personal “thank you”, then stumbled their way back to their spot to open the next gift.

Since children are an open book, we also talked about facial expressions. Opening a pair of socks from grandma may not have had the appeal of the newest toy, but the love, money, and thought behind the gift were just as important.

We did the same thing for birthdays and birthday parties. At such events, it is not unusual to open a duplicate gift. We actually practiced for such events, so that a petulant, “But I already have one!” could be replanted with, “This is the best. Now I have two!” It worked out pretty well; all duplicate gifts went to Grandma’s house so that they had toys to play with whenever she babysat.

It is not too difficult to express genuine gratitude on special occasions such as birthdays and Christmas, but how does that compare to my daily gratitude? Like the child who expresses great joy over receiving the coveted toy, I frequently express my joy to God over the people and things that mean so much to me. However, like the child who receives socks for Christmas, I often fail to thank God for the things that I need but have come to take for granted: my health, the health of my family, my strength, mental abilities, freedom, democracy, a job I love, a steady paycheck (I could go on and on), until, of course, I am in danger of losing one of these things.

I can’t remember the last time I thanked God for my health until I suffered through two days of a stomach virus. A stomach virus; how small that is when I know of countless people who suffer on a daily basis for years with chronic and even terminal illnesses. Yet I need a wake-up call in the form of a two day virus to remember to thank God for my health.

Can you relate?

“You are my God, and I will give you thanks;

You are my God and I will exalt you.”

Psalms 118:28

17 comments:

NSRU said...

Will we ever get to the place where we will be as grateful for our blessings while we have them or does it always require their being taken away to bring it home? I know when I hear of someone's loss, I become more aware of what I have, but that seems to wear off after a short time and I fall back into taking a lot for granted. I'm really trying to be more aware of just how many "every day" blessings we have that we don't even think about and to praise and thank God for how good He is.

Miriam Pauline said...

Thank you. I needed this reminder today.

kpjara said...

What an awesome gift you have given you children...the gift of gratitude!

Becky said...

Dear NSRU,
You are so right. Well said.

Becky said...

Dear Mipa,
You are welcome. Unfortunately, I do too. Thanks for stopping by.

Becky said...

Dear kpjara,
Thanks. I appreciate hearing from you!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I certainly can relate. So much we expect and take for granted, and the little praise God receives from us. Thank you for sharing and the reminders.

Becky said...

Loni,
You are absolutely right, yet this is something we can commit to improvement. Thanks for visiting.

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

“You are my God, and I will give you thanks;You are my God and I will exalt you.”


I want to live that, breathe that, do that... moment by moment. Thank you for speaking His words to my heart.

God, make it so....

All is grace,
Ann V.

Camy Tang said...

That is totally true--I often forget to thank God for things I take for granted. Thanks for the reminder today.
Camy

Becky said...

Dear Ann,
I think that is the key, to live and breathe thankfulness. Thanks for visiting.

Becky said...

Dear Camy Tang,
You are welcome. Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed your blog!

Nic said...

I can most definitely relate!

I love how you have taught your children to show gratitude and appreciation for their gifts! I'm trying to do the same with my little borderline ADD child - it's an uphill battle but it's something that is well worth it!

It's never easy to thank God in our sicknesses or difficulties but you hit it right on the head that those times should be able to remind us that others have it much worse off than us. Thanks for the reminder to do the same in the future!

Becky said...

Dear Nic,
You are so right that it is totally worth the effort! Thanks for visiting! I love to visit your blog too.

Anonymous said...

You are right -- we so often forget to thank God for our health and wealth we have. There are many how have neither.
Thank you for the reminder that need to thank for those on a daily basis.

Ame said...

i love this! i'll have to do the same with my children :)

Becky said...

Eph2810,
It shames me to think of all I have when there are others God loves just as much who have nothing. Thanks for your comments.