Sunday, January 14, 2007

Eating Crickets

I saw an episode of Ellen the other day; Salma Hayak was sharing what she called a traditional Mexican delicacy – fried crickets! I stood in front of the television in horror as she took a tortilla, spread sour cream, guacamole, and salsa on it, then covered the tortilla with fried crickets, rolled it up, and took a huge chunk out of it. After much cajoling, she even got Ellen to try it. It was the most revolting thing I ever saw!

My daughter, Sweet Pea, spent six weeks in Uganda, Africa on a mission trip several years ago. She told stories of huge termite mounds several feet tall. The locals get really excited about those because termites are a delicacy there!

Sweet Pea also went with a group from college to Spain, and attended a buffet one evening. It wasn’t until AFTER dinner was over that she learned she had eaten dog. She is still not over that.

We went out to eat with some friends to a fancy restaurant. They ordered the French delicacy, escargot…that’s snails to you and me. As they dug around in those little snail shells with their little snail skewers, I could not help but stare. Snails look just as slimy cooked and on a plate as they do inching around my flower bed!

I ate squirrel once in Arkansas. Tasted like chicken.

I ate turtle soup once in New Orleans. It actually tasted like vegetable beef soup.

I ate armadillo chili once in New Mexico. Tasted like regular chili to me.

So what is that makes some foods appetizing and other foods revolting, without even trying them? I can eat cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, and even the occasional lamb. I would even eat deer, snake, duck or rabbit if one were killed, prepared, and cooked (without my knowledge) and just appeared at my dinner table.

I cannot, however, eat a horse, dog, cat, rodent (except for the above-mentioned squirrel), goat, monkey, or any other zoo animal or household pet. I also draw the line at insects. I did swallow a gnat once while jogging. Didn’t taste like anything, but I tried to cough it up, nevertheless.

I think of Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah who were among the young men of Judah commanded by Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, to train for three years to enter the king’s service. The king assigned them a daily amount of food and wine from the king’s table. Daniel took one look at the food and resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, since ceremonially unclean animals were used that were neither slaughtered nor prepared according to the regulations of the law. Daniel was merely demonstrating the courage of his convictions (Daniel 1:6-16).

For me, it is a culture thing. I was raised to eat certain foods and disdain others. It takes great courage for me to eat an animal I have not eaten before, but some are completely off limits.

What is the strangest thing you have ever eaten?

10 comments:

Sharon said...

I don't have courage for strange and unusual food items. I didn't even try Chinese food (and that was at a restaurant) until I was well in my 20's. :0)

That question reminded me of an old SNL spoof. I did a quick search and couldn't believe I found the transcript at: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/86/86qheaven.phtml The part goes like this...

Deceased: Well. Let's see.. what's the grossest thing I ever ate?

Angel: You don't want to know.

Deceased: Oh. Okay. What about the 200th grossest thing?

Angel: Okay.. that would be some butterscotch pudding that had a dead earwig in it.

Deceased: [ grimaces ] Oh, gross! You mean I never tasted it!

Angel: Well, you made this very funny face.. but you were watching a football game on TV at the time..

Becky said...

Sharon,
Haha! Thanks for writing. Glad to be in touch again!

Tim Perkins said...

Asparagus? (I'm a finicky eater.)

Juliet Amaka King said...

I actually love snails...
I ate snake once without knowing and promptly tried to bring it up when I was told it was snake meat!

Becky said...

Tim,
ASPARAGUS?! Ok, I shouldn't act so haughty. I started force feeding vegetables as an adult before I finally developed a taste for them. Before that it was only potatoes and corn, which are just barely vegetables.

Becky said...

Juliet Paul,
Yes to snails but no to snakes? To each his own! Thanks for sharing.

Bethany said...

While living in Japan I ate many "interesting" things. I actually enjoyed octopus and sashimi (raw fish) but did not like raw shrimp (so slimy!) or "nato," fermented beans, which the Japanese love! They think Oatmeal and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are gross. While most of the time I enjoyed the food, I can't tell you how much I craved a good burrito or grilled cheese sandwich!

Becky said...

Bethany,
Now that you mention it, I had fried octopus once, on a cruise, I think. Didn't care much for it. I am pretty grossed out by that other stuff you ate,though. Hope you and your honey are having a wonderful new year!

MissErica said...

The grossest thing I've ever had was pea's...I cant stand them... I think it is more of a texture thing than anything but YUCK!

Becky said...

Misserica,
I certainly understand texture issues. For me, it includes: mushrooms, cantelope, and oysters.