Saturday, August 19, 2006

Tempted and Tried

There’s an old song that we sang in church when I was young. It has also been recorded by many artists from Elvis Presley to Dolly Parton. Perhaps you know it.




Vs. 1 Tempted and tried, we're oft made to wonder
Why it should be thus all the day long,
While there are others living about us,
Never molested, though in the wrong.

Vs. 2When death has come and taken our loved ones,
It leaves our home so lonely and drear,
Then do we wonder why others prosper
Living so wicked year after year.

Vs. 3 Faithful til death, said our loving Master
A few more days to labor and wait,
Toils of the road will then seem as nothing
As we sweet through the beautiful gate.

Vs. 4 When we see Jesus, coming in glory,
When He comes from His home in the sky,
Then we shall meet Him in that bright mansion,
We'll understand it all by and by.

Refrain
Farther along we'll know all about it,
Farther along we'll understand why;
Cheer up my brother, live in the sunshine,
We'll understand it all by and by.

Words and Music by J.R.Baxter and W.B.Stevens
© 1937 Stamps-Baxter Music

Mr.Baxter is known as one of the most influential people in gospel music. He formed the Stamps-Baxter Music and Printing Company and went on to write thousands of songs in his lifetime. He was clearly a talented man, and this has obviously been a popular song for it to have been recorded by dozens of artists.

I don’t mind listening to it on the radio, but I do question whether or not it should be sung in church. I can hear your collective gasps, but hear me out. You see, I think that if I am going to sing a song in worship, that I should mean what I am singing.

It occurred to me many years ago that verses one and two are whiny. Whining is something I ask forgiveness for; it is not something that I want to do collectively with other Christians set to music. Whining makes me shameful, because even though I can always find people who have things I do not, or who seem to do whatever they want when they want, I cannot ignore the fact that I am richly blessed.

Furthermore, the song does not make sense to me. Let’s dissect. In verse one, the implication is that only Christians are tempted and tried (all the day long, I must say) and that nothing ever happens to those who do not follow Jesus, even though they are in the wrong, as if what we really want is for something tragic to happen to these people. Judgment Day, apparently, does not satisfy our blood lust.

Secondly, verse two really throws me. I’m looking at cause and effect here. Our loved ones are dying all over the place while the wicked are making money. What does one have to do with the other?

Having vented, perhaps too strongly, let me assure you that when this song is sung in church, I don’t stand up and shake my fist or anything. I just wait until verses three and four to join in.

Now, I’d like to see the words of Paul in Philippians 4:12-13 put to music. Remember, he spent a good bit of time in prison for proclaiming the gospel.

“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and very situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”

Now, if somebody out there with some talent would put that to music, I would sing it every day.

I welcome your comments. Perhaps you see it another way.

8 comments:

Tim Perkins said...

Some of those old classics do make me inwardly groan. I'm proud that our contemporary church music seems to be more Christ-focused.

Sometimes I wonder if we get attached to certain songs because of their lyrics or their sound. I love it when a song captures my ear AND my heart.

Becky said...

Amen, Tim!

Anonymous said...

actually, I believe the Lord used this song to help me today. I was down about a matter when this song came into my mind. I havn't sung this song since i was a teenager and have never thought about it or sung it in my mind or heart when today I was praying and this song came into my mind. I could only remember the first few words, but it seemed the Lord was wanting me to look this song up, so i did and came to this site, I read the lyrics in obedience before i read Your comments to see what the Lord may be wanting to show me... I smiled when i saw the last part,
cheer up my brother, walk in thesunshine. We never know how the LOrd will use something. For me it was a blessing.

I thought this might bless you.
I understand your comments and this is not a judgement at all,
just a testimony.

God bless you and yours,
Sincerely,
Daniel

Anonymous said...

I do understand what you're saying, but I'll have to respectfully disagree. Even the Bible has "songs" like this (ever read through all the psalms?).

It is so incredibly honest and human. We often ARE tempted to have those feelings. Those thoughts DO pass through our heads. And especially so when we are going through some very painful trial. It is far better to be honest about the trials we face and how God helps us to overcome them than to pretend life is always giddy happiness. Not that you are suggesting that, but much of today's praise music does tend toward that.

When this hymn was written in a time when life was exceedingly hard. I don't see it as whiny at all. Just very honest and encouraging to those going through trials that seem to have no redemptive purpose.

I know in my own life it has been a source of great strength through years of pregnancy losses and heartbreak. Those ugly emotions aren't always voluntary. For me it is so comforting to know that others have walked this dark valley.

Thank you for posting the lyrics! I was looking for them. :)

Unknown said...

The refrain alone makes up for the other parts. "Live in the sunshine" because we will understand it all eventually.

Anonymous said...

This hymn is such an inspiration and encouragement. it give us hope beyond this world We all face trials and temptations but God is saying hold on don't give up you WILL understand it in the final analysis. Take courage and take heart. This song speaks to my heart in a profound way. You can hear the voice of God speaking in the words of the song.. Lord lead and allow us to follow. He promises strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow. powerful message. I love it dearly.

Joseph said...

I totally understand all if these comments.
Last Wednesday 3-2-2011 I was listening to a cd on my way home from church.
This song came on. I have sang it & listened to it all my life, I heard it sang as a child in church.
This time , the words tempted caught my attention.
I didn't finish listening to the song , instead I thought on that first verse, first word.
It's like the Lird spoke to me saying,
OK, your Spuritually mature now, move on.
I am NOT tempted anymore.
Sure, the devil still has it's routine it performs, but I am NOT tempted.
See definition if temptation.
Nothing the devil has tempts me anymore.
It means nothing to me , I'm ( my flesh ) is NOT interested.
Sure , I understand the wiles of the devil & I am concerned about his attacks on those who are struggling, but for me, I mo longer tempted by the things he has control of.
satan is the epitomy of stupidy , & I wast a front tie seat when it gets pushed into the pit made especially for it & it's ilk.

Emmanuel said...

Sister Becky: I think you completely miss the point of the song. I think if you have a proper understanding of the Psalms, Habakkuk and Job (just to name a few), you would completely understand this song. Read Psalm 73 for example, where David says "For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked." v.3. Then read vv. 16-17 and see how he deals with this emotion. Read Job 24 for example, and you will see that the author is dealing with the same emotions Mr. Baxter is expressing in this song in far more vivid tone. Read Habakkuk and focus on the question he asks God in 1:13 and then read God's response in chapter 2.

We need to understand different types of literature. Unfortunately, there is a strong desire amongst Christians today to "feel good" all the time and not have to contemplate and deal with serious questions and honest feelings about how we sometimes perceive the world.

What the song writer is dealing with is human perception of events, divorced from God's providencial control over the affairs of humans. There is a difference between things as they appear "under heaven" and things as they appear "under the sun." If you do not understand this, you will have great difficulty understanding, for example, the Book of Ecclesiastis, and I'm afraid, much of Scripture. I think the song is completely in line with Scripture, if put in the proper perspective. Godspeed!