Saturday, August 12, 2006

It's Easier To Get Forgiveness Than Permission

When My Buddy was 16, he got his driver’s license. 16-year-old male drivers are usually easy to spot. They tend to be overconfident and resistant to instruction; they drive too fast, follow too closely, take off abruptly, stop abruptly, and rattle the neighborhood with their radio. I think testosterone interferes with the learning curve for driving altogether. My Buddy fell somewhat within this category, but probably was more careful than most because he had to share my car with me. He did not get his own truck until he was 17.

My Buddy and his little sister Lovie are pretty close, as brothers and sisters go. She was 14 at this time. One morning before school, they decided that it was time for her first driving lesson…..with My Buddy as the instructor…..in my suburban…..on our street (where neighbors park in front of their houses)…..in the rain no less. Lovie had received a call from a classmate who lived on our block, wanting to know if we could take her to school. As My Buddy and Lovie rationalized, this was practically an act of service. They could pick her up at her house so she would not get her hair wet in the rain. In their minds it was no big deal. Lovie would back out of the driveway under his watchful eye, drive to the end of the block, make a three point turn in the street as he explained how, drive back, and pull into the driveway again. No problem.

As they headed out the front door, Lovie yelled in the direction of my room that they were going to go pick up her friend. They felt secure in the knowledge that I “knew” what they were doing, even though they didn’t mention who would be driving, and I couldn’t hear them anyway as I was under the hair dryer. The fact that I could not hear them, and therefore did not respond, actually fit into their plan, as they sometimes subscribe to the theory that it is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Thankfully, they made it back ok. Once I found out what they had done, they had to endure a lecture, as well as individual sanctions (taking away things or privileges that each one values for a period of time).

As I reflect on this incident, I am reminded that I do God this way from time to time. I can honestly say that most times (if not every time) that I sin I do not take the time to think it through. If I do this, what could happen? Is this something I want to do before God? Does this action or word reflect the spirit of Christ? I just do it because I want to, or it makes sense to me at the time, and I deal with the fall-out later.

God uses my conscience to discipline me. He sends Shame to trip me. Then Remorse shoves me to the ground and Regret knocks the wind out of me. It is then that I seek His forgiveness. When will I ever learn? Kind of like the 16-year-old male driver, I tend to be overconfident and resistant to instruction; I drive through life too fast, follow my own desires too closely, take off on my own abruptly while I stop leaning on God just as abruptly. Although I am grateful for the lessons He sends my way, I seek to be more deliberate in my avoidance of sin.

I am reminded of Paul’s words to the church in Thessalonica in I Thessalonians 5:22:

Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. May God Himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.”

Is it just me, or do you struggle with this too? I’d love to hear from you.

3 comments:

Tim Perkins said...

Oh, yes. Happens to me. It's lazy faith and I know God hates it. It's a clever ruse of Satan.

We do constantly tell teenagers that life is series of choices and to consider consequences. It's advice that sometimes even we ignore.

I try not to use grace as a safety net. That being said, however, I'm so glad that grace is there...to wash clean my sin-stained robes.

Becky said...

It's scary, actually, how much our relationship with God mirrors that which our teenagers have with us. Thanks for visiting, Tim! By the way, are you interested in subbing?

Anonymous said...

Wow Becky,

These words are so incredibly powerful...
"God uses my conscience to discipline me.

He sends Shame to trip me.

Then Remorse shoves me to the ground and

Regret knocks the wind out of me.

It is then that I seek His forgiveness.

When will I ever learn?

No, you are not alone..but I am so glad that these feelings do come that send us to our proper place of seeking forgiveness and turning back toward God.

I see where Meagan gets her talent for thought-provoking blogs.