Tuesday, August 29, 2006

So Ready

So I was standing in line in Walmart a couple of weeks ago, waiting to check out. The longest, loudest crack of thunder boomed overhead. It was followed by a deafening silence as everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at those around them. Then, just as unexpectedly, a spontaneous cheer erupted throughout the store as it occurred to everyone what had just happened. Thunder usually means rain, and we are so ready for rain!

I hurried through my checkout process (I’m one of those weirdoes who likes to check myself out), pushed my basket out the door and looked up, expecting to see dark, angry clouds. I was so disappointed to see that the sun was shining brightly and it was just as hot as ever.

So, it was a false alarm, but it did make me think. What will it be like when Jesus comes? If I’m standing in line in Walmart instead of looking up at the clouds, how will I know? Will there be a deafening silence as everyone stops what they are doing and looks around them? Will a spontaneous cheer erupt throughout the store as it occurs to everyone what is happening? Are we so ready for Jesus to come?


"You must be ready,

because the Son of Man will come

at an hour when you do not expect him.”

Luke 12:40

No comments: