Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Your Secret's Safe With Me

So I headed off to a nearby nursery one Saturday to buy some flowers.

I wandered around the nursery, pretending to know what I wanted, as I prefer to decide on my own, without help/suggestions/pressure from the salespeople. An employee approached me; he was somewhat older than me, or perhaps just looked that way from years in the sun. He was kind and friendly and not at all pushy, so we walked along and talked about plants. He took me to a greenhouse where all of the half price plants were kept and spoke lovingly of the caladiums he had grown himself and was now selling so cheaply. I thanked him for his help and ventured out on my own to make my final decision about what to plant. He hovered nearby as I examined species after species, eventually finding my way back to the caladiums. This time I had a basket, which I began to fill with my choices.

With my basket laden with half-price caladiums and a few other treasures, I began what turned out to be an up-hill climb to the main building which housed the cashier. He appeared again, offered to push my basket for me, and suggested that I bring my car around so he could load up my purchase.

After placing the final plant in the back of my suburban, he turned and said with a grin, “Well, now, I should have counted them before I packed them away. How many caladiums did you get?” With a blank expression I replied, “I’m sorry. I can’t remember.” He counted them, turned toward me and said, “Eleven.” I leaned forward. “What did you say? Eleven? I’m sorry. That is not possible.” “Not possible?” He asked, as his eyebrows rose. “Not possible.” I replied firmly. “You see,” I whispered, leaning in again. “I only buy plants in even numbers.”

He furrowed his brow and turned to the plants. “Well, let me show you. You have two here, and three here. Here’s another two…oh…here’s one I didn’t catch…..Well, it appears you do have 12.” Maybe I imagined it, but the corners of his mouth seemed to twitch a little. I looked away and mumbled, “And…now I hope to never see you again, as I have never before said those words aloud.” He chuckled. “Ma’am, I have run this place for 32 years. I’ve seen and heard it all. Now let me help you with that invoice.” He walked me to the cashier, and as he touched the brim of his straw hat, said, “It’s been a pleasure doing business with you…..and your secret’s safe with me.”

As I think about that encounter, I am reminded of my relationship with God. What a joy it is to know that all of my secrets are safe with Him. He knows my thoughts, my fears, my insecurities, and even all of my obsessions, fixations, and phobias. He has seen and heard it all….and pursues me anyway.

“Search me, O God and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” Psalm 139:23-24.

1 comment:

Amy S. Grant said...

What a great story! I found your blog through Jim Martin's and have enjoyed reading your posts.

I have a friend named Becky Burroughs in my town, and you two even look alike.