Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Luxury or Necessity?

Hush, hush little luxury. Don’t you cry. You’ll be a necessity by and by.

It was a typical night. I drifted off to sleep at 11:20pm or so while watching television, the sound muted so as not to disturb the rhythm of my beloved’s puppy snores. Some time later I suddenly woke up. Something was wrong; something was very wrong. Our room was pitch black and deathly silent. As I stumbled across the room to the restroom, my husband’s voice rumbled in the darkness, “The electricity is off.” “Ok,” I thought calmly. “That would explain why it is so quiet in here: no television, no ceiling fan, no air conditioner.” No air conditioner! It is July! In Texas! I groped my way back to the bed in a state of panic, stumping my toe along the way. I crashed to the bed, sucking in the last bit of cool air as I fell. “What are we going to do?” I groaned. “Well,” the rumble continued. “I guess we need to call the electric company.

I waited as he wandered through the house in the dark, trying to remember where he had last seen candles and matches. The flashlight that normally rests on the floor between the bed and the nightstand had apparently sprouted legs and wandered off (a.k.a. he left it in his truck). Meantime, I found my cell phone and determined that it was 11:45 pm. Naturally, the book where I keep emergency numbers was not where I usually keep it (a.k.a. I was cleaning in a hurry and shoved it somewhere convenient…but where?). Around midnight, we could be heard rummaging through my closet, looking for the book by candlelight. He called the electric company and obediently navigated through the phone trail (If this call is in reference to a residence, press 1…if you are experiencing a power outage, press 3….if tempers are flaring at your house, count to 10, hang up, and go to your neutral corners, etc.). The calm, recorded voice finally told him that the work order had been sent and we should have electricity by 2:00am.

Great. We were sentenced to two hours in the dry heat of the Sahari desert. I wearily flopped on the bed. My husband disappeared. As he returned, he said, “Well, everyone on our side of the block is in darkness, as well as the street behind us.” I sat up in total disbelief. “Did you go outside in your boxers?” “Yep. I walked down the alley. It’s not like anyone could see me. It’s pitch black out there.” “YOU WALKED DOWN THE ALLEY,” I screeched, incredulously, “AND NOW YOU’VE CRAWLED INTO BED WITH YOUR DIRTY ALLEY FEET?!” He just chuckled, as I made a mental note to wash the sheets ASAP.

In an effort to distract myself, I decided to pray. I began to list for God the luxuries that had, at some point in my life, become necessities. The list went on and on, not just water, but clean water in abundance, hot and cold, running in pipes into several rooms of my house. Even though we have not had rain in Dallas for a long time and our city has implemented water restrictions, I haven’t seen anyone of late going to the river with a bucket on their head. Electricity and windows with screens would be a luxury for most, but we have already determined that the air outside is hotter than inside, so we haven’t opened a window. Not content with air conditioning, we have ceiling fans in every room. A house with three times as many rooms as we have people. Not one car, but one for each driver. Not just one TV, but practically one in every room. I mean, who knows when we will all want to watch a different show at the same time? My heart filled with shame. I guess it is true. We are wealthy by the world’s standards.

As the list went on and on, my prayers shifted from thanking God for these luxuries to asking His forgiveness for not appreciating them and looking for every opportunity to use them to His glory. Maybe He had to take one luxury away for two hours in the middle of the night to help me see all He has done for me.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” I Thessalonians 5:16-18

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have some talent. keep it up
-son

NSRU said...

Yesterday a friend of mine came over for dinner (she actually brought dinner - the best kind of dinner guest). As she came in the door, she was lamenting the oppressive temperature and how draining it is just to get in and out of your car. We also discussed our lack of enthusiasm for yard work because of the heat (which I hoped provided some explanation as to why the weeds and grass were taking over in my flower bed). As we sat down to eat our meal, I said a prayer in which I thanked God for our air conditioned homes, cars and offices. I also acknowledged that there were so many others in the world dealing with so much more than just being uncomfortable as we go from one air conditioned space to another. After my amen, my friend said, "I feel terrible." Not really what you want to hear after you've just said a prayer, but it did lead to our discussing how blessed we really are. It is so easy to get into a complaining mode. It almost seems like we're more confortable in our conversations if we can complain. It is easier to get someone on board with complaining than with being thankful. Shouldn't it be much easier for us to give thanks in all our circumstances than for those whose daily lives deal with having enough food for their children, dodging missles and rockets, running from tsunamis and the myriad of other circumstances that the rest of the world has to deal with?