Friday, July 28, 2006

Directionally Challenged

I am directionally challenged.

I guess I have always been, but it did not become apparent until my husband’s job required that he drive all over town. From time to time he would leave the Dallas Mapsco (for you non-Texans, think Thomas Guide) at home and call me for directions. I have no trouble looking the street up (alphabetical order and all) or finding the page (I can count very far) or even the quadrant where the street can be found (a wicked combination of numbers and letters, like 47Q). Once there, I easily find the street (I made an A in reading), but then it comes, the dreaded question, “Tell me how to get there.”

I wish I could tell you what happens to me from that point on, but I can’t. Whatever it is, I seem to read Mapsco exactly backward. “Ok, get on 75 north, take the Mockingbird exit and turn left (interpret this to mean right). When you get to Preston, take a left (remember, this is another right). Keep going until you go under (this means over) 635. You’ll see Thistle Lane after (think before) the second light. You can’t miss it.” One thing about it, after doing this a few times, he never left his Mapsco at home again.

What puzzles him completely is how I can get lost driving to a place we have been many times. The answer is simple. Usually, he drives and I sleep. For example, our daughters played basketball throughout high school. This usually meant at least 2-3 trips to Ft. Worth a year. However, sometimes my husband could not go and I had to go alone. To me, it was like visiting a new city. Every time. We had a system, though. He knew to answer his cell phone as soon as I called. He picked it up by saying, “Ok, read me some street signs so I can figure out where you are.” Then he’d talk me in.

Another way this affects me is detours. You know how it is. You’re driving along a busy freeway. It’s bumper to bumper; then the traffic stops altogether. In the distance, you see red and orange lights. It’s a wreck, and there is no telling how long you will be stuck. If you’re lucky enough to be in the right hand lane, you can bail at the nearest exit. Then do what? Stay on the service road until you can get back on the freeway? Maybe. But sometimes there is no service road. That’s when the adventure begins. My car has a compass, which should help, but you have to know what direction you are supposed to be headed and compare it to the direction you are actually headed. The problem is, I tend to think that north is whatever direction I am headed. Typically, I will detour for a while, then pull over and call my husband who will talk me back onto the freeway.

This reminds me of my Christian walk. I can know exactly where I am going and start out in the right direction. However, if I decide that the route does not matter, if I take a detour, or break from the plan, I will veer off course and get far from where I should be. I can even get lost. Thank God for His word, and for Christian brothers and sisters who encourage me to get back on track from time to time.

Let’s fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.”
Hebrews 12:2

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Your description made me laugh! It was so painfully familiar. My husband can't understand why I'll choose to take the long way to work instead of a shortcut -- but I KNOW I'll get lost, and then the shortcut ends up taking longer.
Thanks for the comparison of a map to God's Word. I'm actually pretty decent at reading maps, but deciphering God's plan for my life from His Word is a little harder. I'm glad for His Spirit that lives in us and gives us big, red, flashing signals if we start to go the wrong way. Much love to the family!

Becky said...

Bethany,
Thanks for writing. I am so happy for you. May God bless you as you start this exciting phase of your life.
Much love,
Becky