Thursday, January 01, 2009

Personal Reflection

One of my favorite poems by my favorite poet:

Myself
Edgar Guest

I have to live with myself, and so,
I want to be fit for myself to know;
I want to be able as days go by,
Always to look myself straight in the eye;
I don't want to stand with the setting sun
And hate myself for the things I've done.


I don't want to keep on a closet shelf
A lot of secrets about myself,
And fool myself as I come and go
Into thinking that nobody else will know
The kind of man I really am;
I don't want to dress myself up in sham.


I want to go out with my head erect,
I want to deserve all men's respect;
But here in this struggle for fame and pelf,
I want to be able to like myself.
I don't want to think as I come and go
That I'm bluster and bluff and empty show.


I never can hide myself from me,
I see what others may never see,
I know what others may never know,
I never can fool myself- and so,
Whatever happens, I want to be
Self-respecting and conscience free.

2 comments:

Liz Moore said...

Great poem! As I read the last paragraph I can't help but hear God voice. You cannot hide from me...

Great words to live by. Blessings to you!

Becky said...

Thanks for your comments, Liz. Hope you are enjoying your vacation.