Friday, September 19, 2008

Candor


So I'm changing my grandson's diaper this morning. He will be three in December and is mostly potty-trained for one function, but for the other, more pungent one, he still prefers the convenience of the diaper. I have noticed that he will walk past his dad, his Pop, and even his mom to come find me so that I can change his dirty diaper. On many occasions, he has even met me at the door with, "Nana, pwease change my diaper." I mentioned this to his mom one day and she replied, "It is your own doing. You make it too fun."

Well, dirty diaper duty aside, we do have a good time. It begins with mutual speculation about how many wipes will be required to do the deed. Will this be a two wiper diaper or a three wiper diaper? I then place each cold, wet, wipe on his stomach with a loud "CH" sound to see if he can stand the cold. I also have a tendency toward the dramatic as I follow the odor to uncover the source.

The best part, though, is the conversation. This morning's went something like this.

"How was school yesterday?"
"Fun."
"What did you do?"
"I pay wif Cole and Camden and I had fwee boogers in my nose."

Ahhh...the candor of youth!

2 comments:

AshlieB said...

The brutal honesty of a 3 year old...priceless

Becky said...

Yes. There are no secrets.