Tuesday, September 18, 2007

In the Valley

"They gave our Master a crown of thorns.

Why do we hope for a crown of roses?"


~ Martin Luther ~


My prayers are often filled with thanks for the life I enjoy as a child of God. When I’m living on the mountain top, I eagerly anticipate each new day. The sun shines brighter; there’s a spring in my step and a song in my heart. At times like these, I can easily list the blessings He has showered on me: my family, friends, health, work, prosperity…the list is endless.

When I sink into the valley, I can’t even see the sun. Shadows loom all around me. I am cold, fearful, and alone. I find myself praying for strength, guidance, patience, faith…I could go on and on.

Climbing out of the abyss, I try to look back and learn from my time in the valley. I search for God’s hand in my experience. What did I do or fail to do that got me here? What was he trying to teach me? How can I grow from this? One question leads to another as I long for wisdom…..

Bottom line is this: to fully appreciate the mountain top experience, I need to experience the valley. As much as I long for the mountain top, I do most of my searching in the valley. I have found most of life’s lessons in the valley. I am schooled there; it is there that I grow and learn and fully appreciate the blessings that can only be found in Christ.

“The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul. He leadeth me in paths of righteousness for His name sake. Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for Thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies. Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely, goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

Psalms 23



16 comments:

Denise said...

Amen to this wonderful post, bless you.

Miriam Pauline said...

You are so right--to experience the mountaintop takes the valley. Thanks for the reminder.

lori said...

You are so right! When I have walked in the valley, the mountaintop looks absolutely glorious...and I am better for having had to endure and climb in perseverance.
Beautifully said!

Anonymous said...

Yep it's the valleys where we learn to be steadfast and it's my human self that wants to learn that on the mountain top instead! Blessings...

Anonymous said...

The valley is where the furtile ground is that makes us grow! Thank you for your post today!

Becky said...

Denise,
Thanks for stopping by!

Becky said...

Mipa,
Thanks. I appreciate your comments!

Becky said...

Lori,
I appreciate your encouragement...and love your blog!

Becky said...

Ellen,
Learning to be steadfast...I'm still working on that!

Becky said...

Lana G,
Thank you for stopping by!

Diana said...

I have found that I seldom draw closer to God when I'm on the mountaintop...I don't seem to need Him as much then. But in the valley...I know He is getting me through!

Becky said...

Diana,
Exactly my struggle!

Anonymous said...

Your entry is such a blessing. Thanks for dropping by my blog and for your encouraging comment. I hope to see you again soon!

God bless!

Becky said...

emmyrose,
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. I will be back.

Erica said...

Hi Becky, Thank you for your post! It's so true, when we are up on the mountain everything is wonderful... but I know personally, generally it's when I'm in the valley that I grow the most and come out feeling closer to the Lord :) God is so good.

AshlieB said...

Did you fall off the blog bandwagon?