Thursday, September 13, 2007

Cobwebs

I can’t remember what started me to blog in the first place other than reading my daughter’s and thinking it would be fun to have my own, but blogging requires discipline, and discipline is seldom fun.

It is, however, even less fun to discipline yourself for a period of time and then to give it up. That is true of exercising, eating right, praying, studying the Bible, or even blogging. Developing the discipline is hard, then it gets rewarding, and, if you’re like me, you let it go and find yourself longing for the days when you were disciplined and feeling the benefits.

My friend and I exercise together at 6:00 each morning. Some days we spin; some days we walk.

Even though we walk as fast as we can without breaking into a jog, we manage to talk the whole hour.

On the days we go to spin class I will occasionally give her a lift home. One day as she got out of the car, she leaned in and muttered, “You know, your web of love has cobwebs” and promptly left me alone with my thoughts.

I sat in my car in the middle of the street puzzled; then it dawned on me.

Oh, yeah.

She is referring to my blog. My last entry, almost two months ago, was entitled, “Web of Love.”

Now the very fact that you are reading this tells me that you might not be able to relate. You probably have a blog of your own and have settled into a regular schedule of entries. Or you are toying with the idea of blogging and look forward to reading your friend’s blogs. Maybe you spend some serious time in blogs daily and have your favorites saved on your computer to check each day.

No, that one does not count; if my blog were saved on your desktop you would have deleted it by now, having checked it every day for two months with no new entries.

The other day a friend said to me in exasperation, “Don’t ever start blogging; it will take over your life!” Then he looked at me and said, “Oh, yeah, you do blog” and walked away.

Awkward………

He might as well have said, “And your web of love has cobwebs!”

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean! I haven't blogged in over a year, I believe. I'm more of a "lurker." I have about 30 blogs I visit everyday. You are bookmarked in my blog and I check you about every 2-3 days. I knew you'd be back! Hopefully, you'll get back with it; I always enjoyed your posts. You are a very inspirational writer! So is your dear daughter, and the last I checked, she had cobwebs growing, too! But, I can't chide y'all, as I'm FAR worse!

Becky said...

Carole,
Wow! Didn't actually expect ANYONE to see that post, it has been so long. Thanks for the encouragement. Let me know when you start up again and how I can view your blog!

Anonymous said...

I almost didn't check your blog today. I thought, why bother, the web of love will still be staring back at me. I checked my other blogs and was about to leave, but decided before I left the sphere, "okay, one more time - because one of these days she'll be back" and there it was - a brand new entry! Glad you are back - no more cobwebs for you!
NU

Becky said...

NU,
Thanks. The pressure is on. See you Monday!