Friday, February 23, 2007

Sandstorms

The first three years of our marriage, we were stationed on an Air Force base in Clovis, New Mexico. This area, known as the high plains of New Mexico, was known for its sandstorms (think this picture without the camels). I experienced my first one as a newlywed.

I spent the day cleaning house, anticipating my beloved’s return from work that evening. All of a sudden, I heard a sound like a giant freight train. Knowing there was no railroad track nearby I cautiously went outside to investigate. As I approached the curb, I saw a red wall of dirt as high and as wide as I could see coming toward me. I turned and ran in the house, slamming the door behind me just as the wall of red dirt passed over.

In its wake, a fine mist of red dust covered the house. It was all over the sidewalks, the porch, had seeped through the window sills, and under the doors. It came to rest on my carpet, counter tops, and bed. It was everywhere.

Thankfully, I only experienced a few of these in the three years we lived there. Typically, though, a sandstorm comes without warning. There is no escaping it. About all you can do is find shelter, brace yourself, ride it out, then clean up when it is over.

As a Christian, when hit with life’s storms, I pretty much take the same approach. Only now, I find shelter in the arms of Jesus. In fact, I can’t imagine bracing life’s storms any other way.

“The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble.

He cares for those who trust in Him.”

Nahum 1:7

4 comments:

NSRU said...

How ironic that you blog about sandstorms and here I sit in my office in metropolitan Dallas, Texas, looking out my window at a sandstorm. We used to get them a lot when we lived in west Texas, but I don't think I've seen one in the twenty years we've been in Dallas. It certainly is a reminder that storms, sand or life's, can indeed come up quickly and in unexpected places. Sometimes all you can do is ride it out, not knowing what will happen, but knowing that the Lord is always with us and is, indeed, our refuge.

Becky said...

nsru,
Amen. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Tim Perkins said...

Wait, I thought EVERYONE in Clovis lived near the railroad tracks.

Becky said...

Tim,
Ok, you've got me there. True statement!