Thursday, December 21, 2006

My Nest is Full, and So Is My Heart


We have a large family and my favorite times are when we are all together. Since two of our children are married and two are off at college, our home has become very quiet and relaxed, which I have come to enjoy. However, whenever one or more of the kids announces that they are coming home and word spreads to the others, they chime in with a “Me, too!”

I love the anticipation of their visits. My beloved and I count down the days as we busy ourselves cleaning the house, changing the linens, and filling the refrigerator and pantry with their favorite foods. I begin planning, shopping, and baking days before so that I can serve their favorite meals topped off with their favorite desserts.

This is one of those times. There are 4 shopping days until Christmas. The presents are bought, wrapped, and under the tree. My beloved and I maintain that we did clean, shop, and bake in preparation for their visit, but the college kids, Bud and Lovie, have been home 6 days and I can no longer walk through the house in the dark without stumping my toe on someone’s boot or textbook scattered randomly around. The pantry has been replenished twice, and the washing machine and dryer seem to run constantly. Lovie apparently “borrowed” my athletic shoes yesterday and took them with her when she spent the night with her high school best friend. I discovered they were missing as I was dressing for my Spin class. Bud decided that since we only take a few camping trips a year, we won’t mind if he takes one of our collapsible camp chairs back with him, as he needs more furniture in his living room. There is at least one television on at all times. Every morning this week, I have awakened to find the den TV still on from the night before. It seems that neither of them knows how to work our remote to turn it off, so they just turn the sound down and go to bed.

Kindred Spirit flies in today; her husband Sammy will join us Christmas Eve. Sweet Pea, Yibby, and Little Bud will join us for lunch and presents on Christmas day, as this is the first Christmas with Little Bud and they want to experience opening presents in their own home on Christmas morning with the baby.

This will be our first Christmas since we became empty nesters. In three short months, we have become used to, and actually grown to like having the whole house to ourselves with no day-to-day responsibilities for anyone other than ourselves. Having said that, however, I love having things to look forward to, and we have looked forward to Christmas and everyone coming home for weeks. I plan to savor every minute, every late night noise, every tiff, every chore, every hug, every moment of side-splitting laughter, every tense, highly-competitive game of Spoons, Mexican Train, or Mafia, every Christmas movie, and every tradition as I soak in their youth and energy.

There is plenty of time after New Year’s to sleep. For now, I don’t want to miss a thing!

“Christmas is not a time nor a season but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.”

~ Calvin Coolidge ~
Former President of the United States

6 comments:

Juliet Amaka King said...

Sounds like a whole lot of fun Becky! Enjoy the family reunion and joy because that is also the spirit of Christmas....

NSRU said...

I remember a few short months ago talking with you about the empty nest when you and your Beloved were bummed and trying to figure out how to navigate this new phase of your lives. I could have told you then that it wouldn't take long to make the transition (maybe I did tell you) and that soon you would become very comfortable with just the two of you. We are experiencing "the return" as my oldest, Big Bubba, and his spouse, along with their two dogs, have returned for a while as they look for a new house. Yes, the perpetual washer, the tv on in the empty room, the barking dogs, and my favorite - the recliner never returned to its upright position are all there. Along with those small things have come special times with my daughter-in-law, just the two of us, times when the four of us visit in the kitchen as my husband makes his pecan tarts for the holidays, someone else actually loading and unloading the dishwasher besides me, and lots of laughter over little silly things. This situation is temporary and soon they will be gone to their new home to set up their household the way they want it and we will return to our routines. This is just another reminder to me that often the most special times are the low key, unplanned times of being with each other and just sharing life together. Sometimes the organized, orchestrated gatherings are so hectic and hurried and you are so tired when they arrive that your goal is just to get through them so you can rest afterward. I'm hoping to make the most of every moment of this season with my friends and family and to see the blessings in the clutter, noise and activity. God bless you and yours - we'll clean up after the new year!

Becky said...

Dear Juliet Paul,
It is a blast. Thanks for stopping by!

Becky said...

NSRU,

well said. And this is why I maintain that you need to be a blogger. Then you could be one of my bloggity friends, as well as my spin friend. Merry Christmas and Happy 28 (pounds lighter). I am very proud of your accomplishment!

Darlene Schacht said...

That sounds like a modern day Walton's homecoming. I want to come too!

Becky said...

Darlene,
It certainly seems that way sometimes! Thanks for sharing your gift through CWO!